It is rare to come across someone who was blessed with perfectly straight teeth. Many pre-teens and teens must wear metal braces to correct teeth alignment issues. However, most adults with misaligned teeth or occlusion likely prefer not to wear traditional braces. This is where the revolutionary Invisalign® comes in. Available to Middletown, New York patients of Dr. Scott Udoff, Invisalign® achieves the same results as traditional braces, but much less conspicuously. The treatment consists of a series of clear, removable, plastic trays that gently shift the teeth into their correct position. If you are ready to correct crooked teeth or other orthodontic issues, choose a treatment that is virtually undetectable to others. To learn more about Invisalign®, contact our Middletown dental practice today.
The first step in the process is the most important. Dr. Udoff will thoroughly examine your smile, and review impressions, X-rays, and digital images to gain a clear understanding of your condition. He will then map out your Invisalign® treatment plan, which goes as follows:
- Your records are sent to the Invisalign® laboratory, where a 3D digital model of your smile is created.
- A virtual simulation of the teeth shifting into their ideal position is used to customize the series of aligners.
- The aligners, along with the simulation, are sent back to our office, where you return to pick them up.
- Dr. Udoff provides detailed instructions on wearing the aligners and proper maintenance.
- The aligners are worn over the teeth for at least 20 hours a day, and can be taken off for brushing, flossing, or eating.
- Approximately every two weeks, the next aligner in the series is worn, moving the teeth as necessary.
- Regular checkups with Dr. Udoff are scheduled to check your progress throughout treatment.
The length of time required for treatment depends on each individual patient, but can last from six months to two years. The result after treatment is a beautiful, aligned smile. Dr. Udoff will instruct you to wear a removable retainer after treatment to keep teeth in their new position.
Candidates for Invisalign®
The best way to learn whether Invisalign® is right for your needs is to meet with Dr. Udoff for a consultation. Ideal candidates include teens or adults who may be self-conscious about wearing traditional metal braces, but want to correct orthodontic issues, such as:
- Crooked or twisted teeth
- Malocclusion – overbite, underbite, crossbite
- Misaligned jaw
- Widely spaced teeth; gaps in between teeth
- Overcrowded teeth
Invisalign® candidates should have relatively healthy teeth or gums, and have all of their natural teeth. As the aligners are removable, patients should have the self-discipline to wear the aligners for the appropriate amount of time.
Benefits of Invisalign®
Among other benefits, Invisalign® aligners:
- Are unnoticeable to others
- Are removable, allowing you to eat and drink anything you want
- Are comfortable – smooth plastic will not irritate your tongue or cheeks
- Make maintaining good oral hygiene easy – brush and floss as you would normally
- Eliminate the risk of food or bacteria becoming trapped, as with traditional brackets
- Are customized just for your smile
- Enhance confidence both during and at the end of treatment
Risks or Side Effects of Invisalign®
Dr. Udoff will discuss any potential complications with you prior to beginning, although there are no serious risks associated with Invisalign® treatment. Patients may experience mild irritation when a new aligner is worn. However, any discomfort is temporary and can be alleviated with over-the-counter pain medication.
Patients must also remember to wear their retainer post-treatment, as the teeth will otherwise shift back into their original position. Good oral hygiene is important throughout treatment, so the teeth remain healthy and strong. Dr. Udoff will provide instructions for ensuring a successful outcome.
Learn More about Invisalign®
Get the smile that you have always wanted with a safe, simple, and discreet treatment. Dr. Udoff has experience and skill to give you a smile that you can truly love. To learn more about Invisalign®, contact our Middletown dental practice today.