Dental Implants - Middletown, NY
Fill in the Gaps from Missing Teeth
Missing teeth can turn everyday tasks, such as eating or speaking, into difficult ones. When once-simple activities become challenging, it can affect your overall quality of life. Furthermore, visible gaps in the smile may diminish your self-confidence. Fortunately, holistic dentist Dr. Scott Udoff offers an effective solution – dental implants. Within our state-of-the-art Middletown, New York dental practice, you can regain a complete, healthy, and beautiful smile. Dental implants can help patients preserve jawbone structure, improve their eating and hygiene habits, and help their live a healthier, more self-assured life.
An implant is a titanium post designed to function as the root of the tooth. A natural-looking artificial tooth is then attached to the post to fill the open space. To learn more about dental implants, contact our Middletown dental practice today.
Dental Implants Placement Procedure
Dr. Udoff will first evaluate the condition of the teeth, gums, and jawbone. The gums must be free from any disease or infection prior to beginning. Additionally, if there is insufficient jawbone, bone grafting will need to be completed first. Dr. Udoff will map out a treatment plan tailored to your specific needs. The implant placement surgery then proceeds as follows:
- An incision is made in the socket of the missing tooth to expose the jawbone.
- A hole is drilled into the jawbone.
- The titanium post is placed securely into the hole.
- The incision is closed with sutures.
- Over the next several months, the treatment site will heal and the post will fuse to the jawbone, becoming a permanent fixture.
- When the patient returns, a connector piece called an abutment is attached to the exposed portion of the post.
- A natural-looking prosthetic tooth is attached to the abutment, filling the open space where the tooth was missing.
Candidates for Dental Implants
The best way to learn whether dental implants are right for you is to meet with Dr. Udoff for a consultation. Ideal candidates include individuals with:
- One or more missing teeth
- Healthy gums
- Strong bone structure
- A commitment to maintaining good oral hygiene
- A commitment to seeing treatment through from beginning to end
Benefits of Dental Implants
The benefits of dental implants include:
- Improves eating and speaking ability
- Enhances appearance
- Boosts self-confidence
- Feels comfortable – no sliding around like some dentures
- Prevents further damage to gums and bones
- Prevents shifting of surrounding teeth
- Long-lasting results – even a lifetime in some cases
- Restorations are strong and durable
- Maintains oral hygiene the same way you would with natural teeth
- Achieves a natural look and feel
- Has an extremely high success rate
- Improves “concave” appearance
Risks or Side Effects of Dental Implants
As with all surgeries, some risk is involved with dental implant placement, such as infection. However, with an experienced dentist like Dr. Udoff, risks are very minimal.
It is important to carefully follow aftercare instructions provided by Dr. Udoff for the safest and speediest recovery, such as taking prescribed antibiotics, brushing, flossing, rinsing, and staying hydrated. You should also refrain from strenuous activity and should eat only soft foods for a period of time. We will also educate you on proper oral hygiene habits to preserve implants and restorations for a very long time.
Learn More about Dental Implants
Tooth loss is a problem that goes beyond just aesthetics. A number of oral health concerns arise when one or more teeth are missing. Dental implants are an excellent solution that can restore the functionality and strength of your smile in addition to your confidence and comfort.