Invisalign® Clear Braces - Middletown, NY
Subtle Teeth Correction in Less Time
Dr. Scott Udoff utilizes orthopedics to correct misaligned teeth and facial esthetics. This is known as Gneuromuscular Orthodontics. Space must be created in both the upper and lower jaw to allow for aligning of crooked teeth. There are 6 dimensions of space. 1. Front to back. 2. Horizontal. 3. Vertical height in the front teeth space. 4. Vertical height in the back teeth space. 5. Yaw space 6. Roll space. In contrast to traditional orthodontics where extractions or grinding of the sides of teeth are used to make room for the aligning of teeth, we utilize the growth patterns of the bones of the skull to expand the arches to allowing for alignment of teeth. Once enough space is created for the aligning of teeth, the upper and lower arches are orthopedically aligned. Alignment of the upper and lower jaws is accomplished by finding the physiologic position of the lower jaw. This is accomplished by aligning the muscles, teeth and cranial (upper arch) to mandibular (lower arch) bones.
Traditional Orthodontic treatment simply moves teeth. In contrast, Gneuromuscular Orthodontics addresses teeth alignment in addition to functional and skeletal problems such as proper positioning of the tongue, airway issues, skeletal discrepancies (forward head posture, facial asymmetry, shoulder imbalances etc.) and TMJ disorders. We can do much more than simply give you an attractive smile we can create a stable bite, improved function and quality of life. Dr. Udoff utilizes removable appliances and depending on the needs of the patient Invisalign® or traditional braces.
To learn more contact our Middletown dental practice today.
Invisalign® Clear Braces Procedure
The first step in the treatment process is the most important. Dr. Udoff will thoroughly examine your smile and review impressions, X-rays, and digital images to gain a clear understanding of your condition. He will then map out your Invisalign® treatment plan, which goes as follows:
- Your records are sent to the Invisalign® laboratory, where a 3D digital model of your smile is created.
- A virtual simulation of the teeth shifting into their ideal position is used to customize the series of aligners.
- The aligners, along with the simulation, are sent back to our office, where you return to pick them up.
- Dr. Udoff provides detailed instructions on wearing the aligners and proper maintenance.
- The aligners are worn over the teeth for at least 20 hours a day and can be taken off for brushing, flossing, or eating.
- Approximately every two weeks, the next aligner in the series is worn, moving the teeth as necessary.
- Regular checkups with Dr. Udoff are scheduled to check your progress throughout treatment.
The length of time required for treatment depends on each individual patient but can last from six months to two years. The result after treatment is a beautiful, aligned smile. Dr. Udoff will instruct you to wear a removable retainer after treatment to keep teeth in their new position.
Candidates for Invisalign® Clear Braces
The best way to learn whether Invisalign® is right for your needs is to meet with Dr. Udoff for a consultation. Ideal candidates include teens or adults who may be self-conscious about wearing traditional metal braces but still want to correct orthodontic issues, such as:
- Crooked or twisted teeth
- Various instances of malocclusion (overbite, underbite, crossbite, etc)
- Misaligned jaw
- Widely spaced teeth/gaps in between teeth
- Overcrowded teeth
Invisalign® Clear Braces candidates should have relatively healthy teeth or gums and have all of their natural teeth. As the aligners are removable, patients also need to have the self-discipline to wear the aligners for the appropriate amount of time as well.
Benefits of Invisalign® Clear Braces
Among other benefits, Invisalign® Clear Braces:
- Are subtle enough to not be noticed by most of the people you come in contact with daily
- Are removable, allowing you to eat and drink anything you want
- Are comfortable, as the smooth plastic will not irritate your tongue or cheeks
- Make maintaining good oral hygiene easy since you can brush and floss as you would normally
- Eliminate the risk of food or bacteria becoming trapped like it often does with traditional brackets
- Are customized just for your smile
- Enhance confidence both during and at the end of treatment
Risks or Side Effects of Invisalign® Clear Braces
Dr. Udoff will discuss any potential complications with you prior to beginning treatment, although there are no serious risks associated with Invisalign®. Patients may experience mild irritation when a new aligner is worn. However, any discomfort is temporary and can be alleviated with over-the-counter pain medication.
Patients must also remember to wear their retainer post-treatment, as the teeth will otherwise shift back into their original position. Good oral hygiene is important throughout treatment in order to ensure the teeth remain healthy and strong. Dr. Udoff will provide instructions to help you maximize success.
Learn More about Invisalign® Clear Braces
Our team wants to help you achieve the smile that you have always wanted with a safe, simple, and discreet treatment. Dr. Udoff has the advanced experience and skill needed to give you a smile that you can truly love.